A Selection of Literature for Socialists
This page was one of the first of its type to be placed on the internet. It does, of course, emphasise the importance of literature in the battle of ideas.
The titles below are designed to whet the appetite; we hope this list will encourage you to explore other works.
- Dickens, Charles: Oliver Twist, Hard Times, Nicholas Nickleby, A Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House.
- London, Jack: The Iron Heel, The People Of The Abyss, John Barleycorn, Revolution, Martin Eden.
- Morris, William: News From Nowhere, The Pilgrims of Hope, A Dream Of John Ball.
- Orwell, George: Down And Out In Paris and London, The Road To Wigan Pier.
- Ostrovsky, Nikolai: How The Steel Was Tempered.
- Sholokhov, Mikhail: And Quiet Flows The Don, Virgin Soil Upturned, Harvest On The Don, Tales From The Don.
- Sillitoe, Alan: Saturday Night And Sunday Morning, The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner.
- Sinclair, Upton: The Jungle, Oil, The Flivver King, The World’s End Series.
- Zola, Émile: Germinal, Earth, La Bête Humaine, L’Assomoir, The Fortune Of The Rougons.
If you have a favourite book to add to our list please contact the Secretary.